July 7, 2011

Due Date

July 7th has some significance to me as it was Cale's due date. I think I read somewhere that only 5% of babies are born on their due dates anyway (he was born nine days earlier than his due date) and obviously his birthday is much more significant, but July 7th is still a date that I will always associate with him. For that reason I thought it fitting to share some more pictures from his 1st Birthday in Heaven celebration.

These were the little invitations I made. The quote reads:
"A butterfly lights besides us like a sunbeam. 
And for a brief moment its glory and beauty belongs to the world.
But then it flies once again, and though we wish it could have stayed, 
we feel so lucky to have seen it."


 We went to the backyard to Cale's garden where Miles said some sweet words and then I read this poem, which I read at Cale's service last year:
I think of you often
and make no outward show,
But what it means to lose you,
no one will ever know
You wished no one farewell,
not even said good-bye,
You were gone before I knew it,
and only God knows why.
You are not forgotten
nor will you ever be,
As long as life and memories last,
I will remember thee.
To some you may be forgotten,
to others a part of the past,
But to me who loved you dearly,
your memories will always last.
Nothing can be more beautiful
than the memories I have of you.
To me, you were someone special,
God must have thought so too!
If tears could build a staircase
and memories a lane,
I would walk all the way to Heaven,
and bring you back again.
-Anonymous
 
Then we did a balloon release of blue balloons:

Followed by a Butterfly Release:

They packaged the butterflies in these individual envelopes and the butterflies flew away upon opening. But some lingered a bit. One of them stayed on my leg briefly before flying away. It was very special.


And then we had some cake
, because every birthday celebration should include cake. The yellow blob on the 'H' is a halo, but it looks more like a blob if you don't know what it's supposed to be.


"There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"


It was an emotional day. It was a sad day. But it was also a really beautiful day and a day that I was thankful to remember and celebrate Cale. We plan to always do something little to celebrate him on his birthday. And while I'll always miss him, I hope that each June 28th I will be comforted by the thoughts of love I have for the little boy who stole my heart and who blessed me with the family I get to hold in my arms.

5 comments:

  1. what a sweet sweet way to honor cale on his first birthday! love that the butterfly lingered a bit with you!
    he will always be remembered by many!
    many prayers and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this Caroline. What a sweet and meaningful ceremony. : ) Happy first birthday in Heaven to Cale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful ceremony. Loved the last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your poems and such a beautiful way to always remember Cale each year!

    ReplyDelete