August 10, 2016

Say Yes to the Mess

I'm not really great at playing with my kids. Like actual playing. It sounds terrible, but I get bored and just don't have the patience that I wish I had. I enjoy reading to them, but find that when it comes to playing with trains, tucks, legos or especially playing make-believe, I'm just not great at being all in with them. I'd much prefer to take them to the library, go on a walk, go to the beach, just do some sort of activity with them. Sometimes I feel guilty about this and other times I just remind myself that we all have strengths and hunting for monsters just isn't one of mine.

I'm trying to get better about saying 'yes' more often instead of 'no' or 'we'll see.' It's hard, especially if Miles is gone, to always indulge them, and sometimes they don't deserve it or it really does need to wait until later, but there are many times that I'm just being too lazy or am not prioritizing the way I really should be.

Tonight Finn asked if we could go on a walk so he could dig in the construction site. It felt nice to just say yes and not worry if he was going to get super messy or if we would be cutting it close to dinner.


The other week Finn wanted to do some art projects. And so I got some paper, put some paint on a plate and gave them a few brushes. I really did next to nothing and yet they loved it. I need to do stuff like that more often.


So what if he wants to get every. single. truck out from time to time. Far too often I get frazzled with the messes, especially as we try to keep the house mostly show ready. But he ever so sweetly played with these trucks and why own all these toys if I'm not going to let him enjoy them?! My goal is to just partake in more of his enjoyment in these little moments.



One day far too soon they will stop asking to do these things. And while I'm not looking to make their childhood some nonstop Pinterest perfection, I do want them to just have memories of Mom saying yes and being fully engaged in their little worlds from time to time.


................................................................................................

3 comments:

  1. Same for me when it comes to being good at playing and crafting and messes with the kids - ugh. Good for you and thanks for the reminder that it's not all bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same for me when it comes to being good at playing and crafting and messes with the kids - ugh. Good for you and thanks for the reminder that it's not all bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya, sister. I'm not much into the make believe or the playing with... I am happy to indulge for a bit, but then I try to redirect to a board game or something more independent because I feel like I'm both sucking at playing and because I feel like sometimes I want THEM to figure out playing without me. With one another.

    You used acrylic paint! You are daring! I only go washable or watercolors... and rarely acrylic. But then again, we paint like twice a week around here, so I can't deal with those messes.

    ReplyDelete