May 9, 2016

Mother's Day Recap

Mother's Day didn't really sting as much this year as it has in years' past, but honestly I think that just had more to do with the fact that it really felt like any other day and the fact that I've just come to accept that Mother's Day will never be about the hype for me. Not only has losing Cale changed my views on the day, but just knowing how it also can be such a hard day for so many other people for so many other reasons really makes me sort of ambivalent towards it all. I don't feel bitter towards the day - I think it's great to celebrate moms, especially your own. It's just that I don't feel inclined to make the day into something more than it needs to be either.

And it's not that I had a bad day. I just had a day. I took the kids for a run and cleaned up after them and dealt with some terrible two tantrums, but also played legos and read books and really relished in my good fortune that I even get to do all those things with them. And of course I thought a little extra of Cale and missed him a bit more and really appreciated those who acknowledged him yesterday.

Miles is away at a course so wasn't home this past weekend. In his defense I know he'd much rather be with his family, but let me tell ya - it sounded like he had a great mothers day; he slept in, ate breakfast in peace, went to a movie, didn't have to wipe anyone's butt (well anyone else's for that matter). Sounds preeety nice! But I know he missed getting to read the kids bedtime stories and kiss them goodnight and I'm forever grateful that I able to do that. 

Pretty much sums up my day.
When I asked Finn about the "A photo with mom & me" portion he proceeded to tell me
how the picture is of him, mom, and daddy! 
................................................................................................

4 comments:

  1. I have the EXACT same thoughts about Mother's Day. And Damn! It sounds good to have the majority of the day solo! Because while I made E change all the diapers, I still had to be MOM. Which I'm SOOOO grateful for (can't complain, especially to Brandy circa 2011), but a nice relaxing sleep in would've been super awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleeping in is KEY! I was the last one out of the tent on Sunday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way, mostly ambivalent towards the day. And also had a totally normal day of being a mom, which is amazingly awesome...and tiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother's Day. Blah! But at the same time, so very happy to have a little nugget to squeeze.

    ReplyDelete