July 4, 2017

Declaring Independence from Donald Trump?

Ok so let me preface this all with the fact that I know we are so lucky for the opportunity to live overseas for two years and for the most part I really do love it and the experience and traveling it has enabled our family to do, yadda, yadda, yadda. BUT, today I was just sorta in a mood and missed "home" and felt nostalgic and a little sad.

It started when I went to Finn's class assembly today and one my way out another mom commented on how nice it was that I could bring Mary. Only it was said in a way that I genuinely don't know if she was just being nice or if it was sorta a passive aggressive dig at the fact that I DID bring Mary (who was the only sibling in attendance, but very well behaved). Anyway, not really knowing how to take that I continued on and was about to leave when a lady from the from office stopped me to ask me about Mary's enrollment and give me a hard time for not attending a meet the teacher night I wasn't even aware of! I felt bad for not knowing about it (though got no email or notification of it), but was also annoyed at how short she was with me. The truth is that in general the faculty at Finn's school hasn't been very friendly/warm. It's definitely NOTHING like the kindess and love that was shown at Finn's preschool in Savannah. When Finn was still adjusting to school here I stressed if I made the wrong decision in which school to send him to, and today that worry resurfaced. But Finn IS mostly happy at school and doing really well, so I have to remind myself of that. Unfortunately, I totally let it put me in a bad mood and found it fitting that I would be annoyed with Brits on the 4th of July.

That combined with the fact that Miles is away right now for an internship and this holiday, which is my favorite, isn't celebrated here (obviously) - heck, Finn is still in school! It just didn't feel like the special, happy, day I'm used to. Aside from my deployment, this is the only time I haven't been stateside for the 4th! Anyway, it all resulted in my throwing myself a little pity party.

Thankfully, another military family was sweet and invited me over to their get together and I knew it would be good for the kids and I to go instead of me putting them to bed and feeling sorry for myself. Plus, they had sparklers and s'mores, so it ended up being a really nice night for which I'm grateful my rotten mood didn't spoil the whole day!

One funny aside - as I was talking about the 4th with the kids, I said "Do you know who America declared its independence from?" to which Finn replied "Donald Trump?" (bahahah). After I stopped laughing I said, "No, from England" and his eyes got really big and he said, "THIS country!?" and then we talked about how THAT went down because it totally shocked him!

I hope that those reading this had a happy, less woe-is-me, 4th of July . . . wherever you might be.




................................................................................................

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry the staff at Finn's school isn't warm. Shit, they are so lucky to have him (and your family) there! They should be thanking you every day. I'm not enamored with Bode's teachers, but I do love the school and his friends and what's it done for him. But it's weird to trust strangers who I'm not 100% into to take care of my awesome kid each day. I'm glad your evening turned out fun. I worked all day and we're being party poopers and not keeping kids up for fireworks ha. But Happy 4th of July! And special thanks to families like yours that allow us to celebrate 🎉

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donald Trump!! 😂😂🤣🤣

    Love you guys so much and so glad you ended your day celebrating with sparklers and s'mores!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol.

    Hate that the administrator was short with you- that's unnecessary.
    Love that you guys found your own unique way to celebrate. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finn in my favorite.

    Hope you are having a nice holiday away from those crotchety snobsters!

    ReplyDelete