January 1, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

(in no particular order)

1. Read more. Read more of the news - be more engaged with what's going on in the world. Read to Finn more and read at least one book a month. Seems very doable, but I certainly didn't read 12 books last year and easily could and probably should have. Got any good recommendations?

2. Workout more. Get more miles under my feet, with the BOB, on the bike, etc. Participate in my first triathlon.

3. Capture memories. I've been pretty good about taking lots of pictures of Finn, but I want to ensure I keep this up. Our little guy turns ONE this year - what the what!? I don't want to miss a second of it. I also have a few scrapbooks that I've been working on for far too long or have yet to start (Cale's album), so need to get busy.

4. Continue to find ways to celebrate and honor Cale. We are moving this year so I know I will make a new garden for him at our new home, but moving means new friends and a chance to tell new people about him. I want to find ways to ensure he's still a part of not just 2012, but a part of our forever.

5. Maintain relationships. Certainly important as we move, but something to always work at. I have some amazing friends. Some in this little online community, some in "real life" and they have helped me through the darkest and hardest times in my life. As my grief gets easier to manage, I want to do a better job at being a part of their lives as they were a part of mine when I needed them most.

6. Be a better wife. If I ever stop wanting to be a better wife, I think something in our relationship is wrong. Sure I want to strangle Miles at times, but he's a wonderful husband, father and friend. He deserves my very best.

7. Travel. We just completed a cross country trip with a baby and a dog (more on that later). While I wouldn't do it all over again right away, I know that trips, especially short ones, are possible with a lot in tow. I want to visit at least a few new places we have never been to and travel to places we have been to see the people we love (here's looking at you Kate)

8. Give. With the transition to stay at home mom and going down to one income, we may not be able to give as much financially as we have in the past, but there are still so many ways to reach out and give to others and support important causes.

I am sure I have a handful of other resolutions, but these seem to be the most important, or all I can think of at the moment. So in closing, I will leave you with this silly picture. Yesterday was not just New Year's Eve, but also the 4th birthday of our beloved Roscoe. Happy birthday spoiled pup, and happy new year to all!


2 comments:

  1. Man, I love Roscoe. Have you read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins? Get it quick so you can see the movie in March! I recently re-read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and found it enjoyable and helpful. In fact, it makes me want to write a book about finding happiness in the midst of grief... Anyway, your resolutions sound both important and keep-able. Do you know where you'll be moving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Roscoe! Love your list- I need to work on some things I want to accomplish this year. Getting back into reading is on my list too. The book Brooke mentioned sounds like a good one to start with :)

    ReplyDelete