June 3, 2012

The one in which I feel like a schmuck

Last night Miles and I drove up to Atlanta to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. Some good friends came to our house to watch Finn (and Roscoe) and we got away for a little bit to go to a nice dinner and the symphony. Fancy Schmancy, huh? It was pretty awesome though - makes me wish my parents went a little Tiger-Mom-esque on me when I quit playing the piano and flute after a couple years. Anyway, as we were waiting to go into the symphony Miles started not-so-quietly whispering "so, honey. . ." but by the tone of his voice, I thought he was going to say something inappropriate, or make fun of musicians, or just something that needed a softer voice than what he was using. So I kept hushing him and cutting him off. But eventually he stopped me and pulled out a beautiful ring and said "I made you a promise four years ago and I want to keep good on that promise," and on my finger he slipped this bad boy. . . (the top one)


And instead of politely telling him how much I loved it, I just kept saying "shut up" But not because I actually wanted him to shut up, I just couldn't believe he got it. So more of a "no way!" type of shut up. First, I don't remember him promising me this ring four years ago. I remember nagging a lot and apparently that worked out well for me. But I also felt/feel like a total chump because we agreed NO GIFTS! We were going to go on a nice date to dinner and the symphony and that was supposed to be it! And I followed the rules and got him NOTHING in return. Thoughtful jerk.
 

I wasn't even going to write about our evening and instead I was going to share our engagement story. But that can wait for another time. If I reveal how thoughtful Miles really is, you'll all wonder why he hasn't left me yet! So instead, if you haven't seen this cute video, please watch it and hate this other thoughtful guy for being so stinkin' sweet.

10 comments:

  1. Ooooooh bling! Wish it wasn't such an awesome gift so you could have been right haha. How thoughtful and lovely and what an awesome date/anniversary. D and I haven't been to the symphony but we did see Harry Connick Jr and that was kind of romantic... Nice ring lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful ring! Love it! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! :)
    And you can always get Miles back next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That boy has good taste - love the ring. And, I don't know if it is the pregnancy hormones or what but I totally cried all through that lip-dub proposal video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work Miles!! Wanna come help Ben get the rest of mine for our 5th in Oct??! :) Glad that you got some time away to be together!
    Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when love is represented by a little something sparkly. What a sweet surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when love is represented by a little something sparkly. What a sweet surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, pretty! Good job, Miles! This reminds me of Valentine's day this year...we don't usually buy big gifts, so I got my husband some candy, and he came home with a gift-wrapped fancy designer purse for me. And I felt like a bit of a schmuck, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. What a great guy you've got yourself there. :) I feel like a schmuck, oh, always as well. It's beautiful, Caroline.

    And that video is awesome. I saw it about a week ago and just couldn't believe the coordination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miles is the man! I HATE when we agree no gifts and then he cheats...I pretty much always have a stand by gift just in case! ha! Oh and the proposal video was something Brian and I watched together...I always give him "the look" when we see things like this because our engagement story was less than stellar (partly my fault for ruining his original plan, but that's another story). Glad you had such a nice anniversary and that you are married to such a great guy who treats you the way you deserve!

    ReplyDelete