November 26, 2014

Joe, the Emotional-Shark Boot-Wearing Turkey

Finn's school put on a little Thanksgiving performance yesterday. Each class dressed up in something relating to Thanksgiving (turkeys, Indians, Pilgrims, etc) and would preform a little song about Thanksgiving or act out a little skit. Finn's teachers told me he would be dressed up as a turkey named Joe and that they had been working on a couple songs. Sure enough, he's been signing "Gobble, Gobble, Gobble, Gobble says the Bird" (sung to a similar tune as "If you're happy and you know It) and he would sing (to the tune of "Brother John") "Mr. Turkey, Mr. Turkey, make it fat, make it fat. I am going to eat you, I am going to eat you, just like that. Just like that."

Joe the Turkey
The performance took place in the chapel and when Finn's class walked out front, I crept up front to take some pictures. It rained all day yesterday, but Finn had wanted to wear his rain boots, but it did slow him down a bit climbing up a few rows in the front of the church. Each turkey went around and introduced him/herself and Finn did a great job saying clearly in to the microphone, "I'm Joe," but then they started to sing the "Gobble, Gobble, Gobble" song and stage fright took over. I could see Finn's Disney eyes scanning this big room and all these strangers looking up at him and it just got a little overwhelming for the poor kid. He did see me, but at this point his eyes started to well up with tears and he just covered his face. I was trying to get a cute picture for Miles, but was mostly just staring at him saying, "it's ok, it's ok."


He did manage to turn around and shake his feathers at the end of the song and then his class was done and one of his teachers scooped him up and comforted him which was really wonderful to see.


After all the classes preformed I went and found Finn and asked him if he got a little scared up on stage. He said he did and I told him that it was ok to be scared, it's overwhelming being in front of a lot of people and that I was really proud of him.



We went downstairs and ate some pie that the kids helped make, and then went outside where there were puddles to be stepped in and all was right in Turkey Joe's world again.


................................................................................................

5 comments:

  1. Sweet, gentle Finn. How I adore you and your shark boots and stage fright. What a moment for Mama and boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Finn and mama. We know this feeling so well...I've often thought that I've never felt the love I have for my children so intensely as when I see them scared or anxious and I can't rescue them. Your amazing mama is right, it's okay to feel that way and I am so proud of you buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet boy. I LOVE HIM, like what a sweet moment!!!! <3

    Oh Turkey Joe, you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just...want to hug your sweet Finley. He really is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness. Finn is so cute and I can only imagine how nervous he was (I would be, too) and how hard that was to watch. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete