December 22, 2010

Ultrasounds

I started to title this blog "I heart Ultrasounds," but then I realized that would be a lie. I have a love/hate relationship with them. Right now I love them. June 28th, I hated them. With this pregnancy I am getting much better care than I felt I got last time around. While nothing dealing with my care had anything to do with the unfortunate events that took place, I was just "another patient" in the eyes of the Army medical system. I had a beautiful, complicated-free pregnancy. There was never a need for extra monitoring. But there was also never a need, in my opinion, to make me feel cared about. I wasn't even seen at the OB clinic until I was 35 weeks - I never had a regular doctor. I was just another person having a baby.

This time is totally different. We have a very sympathetic and understanding doctor who, bless his heart, is patient with the millions of questions I have at every appointment. And at every appointment, we've gotten to see our little baby-to-be. That might not continue (getting an ultrasound each time), but for now it gives me such peace of mind and for that I'm so very thankful. I wanted to share US (ultrasound) pictures thus far. These cover a span of only four weeks and yet you can see (well, you can kind of see) how much changes in a short amount of time.

Ultrasound 1 (9 Nov 10) - First Appointment. Baby was the size of a grain of rice. 
Measuring right on track and we could see the little flicker of a heartbeat. Wonderful day.


Ultrasound 3 (19 Nov 10) - Second Appointment. We skipped US 2 as that was done in the ER when we had a little scare. Everything was fine, but no pictures were printed. This was the follow-up appointment to make sure everything was still on track. Baby was the size of a blueberry.

Ultrasound 4 (6 Dec 10) - Third Appointment. Baby was the size of a large kidney bean and we saw the little arm/hand and foot/leg nubs. The little arm/hand was wiggling too - probably saying "hi guys." These pictures are so tiny so it's hard to see, but to the right is the little noggin and to the bottom left (of the circle) are the little foot/leg nubs.


The photos are all the same size, the circle gets bigger each time because the baby is filling up that womb more and more. And that's the part about all this that gives me hope and excitement (the good emotions that battle it out with the not-so-good emotions) is that each ultrasound picture gets bigger, more clear, and more awesome. I can't wait to share more!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!!!!! I got your Christmas card today - I am so excited you you guys! I wish you the best and will be praying for you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete