January 28, 2011

Seven Months

Seven months ago today we met our first born. A beautiful and perfect baby who left this world, but remains close in our hearts. I wanted to share seven "Cale things" that I have. I love having little reminders of our little boy. When I went into our room and the nursery to take some of these pictures I realized that even since his passing, I have much more than just seven items to remind me of him. I have other sweet pieces of jewelry (not shown) from very special friends, Christmas ornaments that have been packed away, we have little willow tree angels, and above all else, we have pictures and memories of him that will last a lifetime until we get to hold him again.

But here are seven other wonderful things I have:

1. About a week after Cale was born, this beautiful necklace came in the mail from Miles' brother and our sister-in-law. My mom and sister were in town and we were all headed out the door, but right before we were about to leave the mail came. Miles handed me the box as I was coming down the stairs and I sat down to open it - my mom and sister, sitting on the stairs with me. I took out the necklace and tried to read them the message, but couldn't do it out loud. So with tears in my eyes, I passed it to them to read. As you see I kept that message, as it means as much to me as the beautiful necklace (a sterling silver pendant with a "C" inscribed).

2. Butterflies are often used as a symbol in the baby-loss community. The reason being is that they represent a life span. After Cale died I joined an online support group where I have met some amazing people. One of them, Janie, sent me this sweet butterfly. Even though I've never met her, Janie makes me feel as if she's given me a great big hug each time I hear from her. I have no doubts that Janie's little boy Sam is probably good buddies with Cale in Heaven. Janie also included this beautiful poem which I have since been able to share with others:

"A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam.
And for a brief moment its glory and beauty
belong to our world.
But then it flies on again,
and though we wish it could have stayed,
we feel so lucky to have seen it."
-Anonymous 


3. This necklace came from my friend Rhiannon who is a baby-loss Mom I have been fortunate enough to meet. Even better, she only lives about ten minutes away! Her little girl Harper went to Heaven just three days before Cale on June 25, 2010. Rhiannon and I were paired up on a holiday gift exchange organized by Face of Loss, Faces of Hope and while I hate the reason we met, I'm so glad we did and that have someone so close to walk down this path with.


 4. One day at work, my friend Jodi came in and brought me a present. Just out of the blue, she saw this and had to get it for me. Unexpected presents are great, but what she got was even better. She found a pearl bracelet (Pearl is the birthstone for June and have always been my favorite stone) with butterflies on it. On the larger butterfly, she got Cale's name inscribed.

 
5. This cute ornament came from Amy, who also lost her first born to a cord accident. Her son's name is Jacob and he sure has one talented Mom! This ornament looks professionally done!  I have it hanging in the nursery on the bulletin board and will keep it in there until Christmas time when it can go on the tree. 


6.  This little hanger came from my friend Anne who I have known for over two decades! It's another neat item I have hanging on the bulletin board in the nursery.


7. My Cale bracelet. When Miles had to go back to work after Cale passed away, my mom was still in town and we came up with a few projects to work on to keep ourselves busy. One was to plant a garden for Cale in the backyard. This is something I plan to do no matter where we live. We also decided to make bracelets. We made some "Cale bracelets" and tried to include a lot of meaning in them. There are 6 pearls on the bracelet, and 28 total beads as he was born on 6/28. We used pearl because it's his birthstone, and blue beads since he's a boy. There is a "C" bead for Cale and a couple heart beads for the love we'll always have for him.


So there you have it. There are just seven of the many wonderful things I have to remind myself of my son.


4 comments:

  1. I love all of your Cale things...the message that came with the Tiffany's necklace brought tears to my eyes. You are lucky to be surrounded by so much love. Thinking of you & Cale today and always. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the wonderful gifts that you've received in honor of Cale! They're all so beautiful and incredibly thoughtful! I'm glad that you have so much support surrounding you -- remembering your sweet little boy with you. :)Much love going your way on this 7 month mark. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Caroline! I'm glad that you have so many wonderful things to remember Cale by to go with your wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such precious keepsakes to treasure always!!

    I just came across your blog. I am so sorry for your loss and so excited for your rainbow. Wishing you a blessed 2011. Love, Hannah Rose

    roseandherlily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete