November 15, 2011

TEAM DAREN

This past weekend was a busy one. We had a lot of family and friends come in from all over the country to run and support us in the 2011 Soldier Marathon that we ran in honor of Miles' brother Daren. It was a wonderful event. There ended up being over 50 people who ran as part of "Team Daren" - some running the half marathon, others the relay, and a few brave ones running the full. In addition to the runners we had a really great turnout of supporters. We all wore our Team Daren shirts (the proceeds of which go to Daren's Memorial Fund) and it was so neat to see people sprinkled throughout the almost 2,000 runners wearing a Team Daren shirt or wearing Daren's name on their runners bib.


It was absolutely wonderful to see so many people honoring not just Daren, but all those fallen heroes who deserve continual recognition. One man asked me about Daren during the run and it was nice to be able to talk about him and tell others about what a great person he was.

 I was a little apprehensive about the 13.1 miles I set out to do as I did next to no training, but it ended up going well and being a really fun, really memorable run that I completed along side my sister and close friend. Miles ran the full marathon and I'd like to brag about him for a second. First, he's an idiot because he didn't train for it. But fortunately for him, he's a very fit idiot. He came in at 3 hours, 7 minutes, a time that would qualify him for the 2012 Boston Marathon, but the registration is already closed. And the last three miles he ran in just his socks! His feet started cramping so at mile 23 he took his shoes off and carried them the rest of the way.


He was first in his age group and 16th overall. Sick, right? But I'm so proud and love bragging about him. Here are some more pictures from the race and when you get the chance please read this really great article written by one of the Team Daren participants.

Miles with some friends who completed the relay marathon

  With my sister and the littlest Team Daren Supporter

These amazing friends drove from Cincinnati to help and cheer us on!


 One of three Team Daren relay teams

 Proud father. Always.

8 comments:

  1. Are you KIDDING me?

    "I was a little apprehensive about the 13.1 miles I set out to do as I did next to no training, but it ended up going well and being a really fun, really memorable run"

    If you weren't so freaking nice and adorable, I would seriously hate you and your super powered physical fitness.

    But I do love that you had so many people supporting Daren, and it looks like an awesome experience. Nice work, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Miles. You are insane. In a good way. And Caroline, doing a half with no training too...awesome job! Sounds like you guys had two very special someones helping you out and providing some great motivation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Brooke's comment! Holy crap I am impressed by both of you and your husband...and those socks...he is a machine! Amazing day to honor Darren and all the fallen. That last picture is beautiful and breaks my heart all at the same time. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an amazing event- so glad you guys were able to honor Darren in this way ♥

    And ummmmmm yeah I'm totally with the other ladies- you guys are awesome! I totally would not have been able to do that run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady, you just had a baby and you can run 13.1 miles? That's like, 25+ kms here in Canada-land- YOU're CRAZY. lol. Good for you and your fabulous husband too. :)

    Is that Finn with your sister? Because if so, he's Huge!!!! lol

    I'm so happy the day went so well for you. And the photo of your FIL breaks my heart a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! you all did Daren PROUD! WOW your husbands time is absolutely amazing. You know he was being pushed by and invisible force. Good job both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last picture brought tears. What an awesome way to honor Daren!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pic of your FIL holding Daren's picture brought me to tears, too. You are all amazing!

    ReplyDelete