May 28, 2013

Well, I Tri'd

Yesterday Miles and I completed our first triathlon. We signed up for the Capital of Texas Triathlon in the category "First Tri" which, obviously, was geared towards beginners, but there were several other categories as well including distances for professional triathletes. Our tri involved a 400 meter swim (1/4 a mile), 10k bike (6.2 miles), and a 5k run (3.1 miles). To put that in perspective, a full Ironman Triathlon is a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a full 26.2 mile marathon run. My friend Erica has completed TWO of them. She's a beast. But she was kind and answered all of my silly questions I've had over the last few weeks, like "what do I wear?" "When do I take my swim cap off?" "Will I get kicked in the face?"

As it turns out I did not get kicked in the face during the swim. The swim was in Lady Bird Lake which runs through Austin. Due to a lot of rain this past week, the water had to be monitored to ensure it was safe to swim in. They decided it was just safe enough, so we swam in some pretty murky, brown water, but it actually didn't bother me at all - probably just nerves and adrenaline, because when I think about it after the fact, it was pretty gross, and pretty surprising that I didn't get kicked as you couldn't see another swimmer until you were right next to them.

Miles came in first in his division (Military and First Responders), because of course. I'm proud of him and all, but seriously dude, your first race?! I, on the other hand, left plenty of room for improvement, but my goal was to just finish. When we went back to pick up Finn from my sister-in-law's house, my three year old nephew asked to see my medal and asked "did you win, Caroline!?" I said, "well, I finished and that's kinda like winning."

Speaking of winning - they gave out free ice cream at the end - my kind of race!


My sweet friend Katie came out to cheer us on and stayed for the whole race. It was such a boost to hear someone calling my name during the bike and run - the miles on the run seemed to be especially long!


When we got home we went back and watched some Team Hoyt videos. A few years ago I heard about this father-son team. They have done 247 Triathlons, 70 Marathons, and numerous other races together. Dick, who is now in his 70's and still racing, pushes his son Rick, who has cerebral palsy from an oxygen deprivation at birth. If you are in the mood for a good cry, watch this. Their story is amazing and humbling. Equally humbling, was seeing how many para-triathletes and amputees competed in yesterdays race.

Overall we both had a really good experience and look forward to doing more in the future. Especially if it involves ice cream.
................................................................................................

6 comments:

  1. Not getting kicked in the face + finishing + ice cream = WINNING! And of course Miles finished first, he would do that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. UM. Miles' body? Whhhhhat? How does he have time for being that fit! Holy crap!

    Ice cream is clearly the best part of any workout. Hah! Congrats on being an all-star, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I've been patiently stalking the blog for an update! You're awesome & Miles is just disgusting. You guys also make for a very cute Tri couple ;)
    Good job to both of you!
    Oh and I've always loved Team Hoyt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, Miles? Do you have to win AND look good doing it?

    You both amaze me. Please don't challenge me to a race. Unless it's ice cream eating. We might be evenly matched there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Lord, your Husband is a beast, but a very good lookin' beast! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete