July 13, 2014

A Lovely Rainy Race

Yesterday Miles and I ran a 5K race which benefited the Zoe Foundation. I mentioned it a few posts back, but this wonderful foundation exists to help families who lose a child by providing funds to help cover the costs of a funeral or memorial. We were fortunate that the Army took good care of us when we lost Cale. Our out of pocket expenses were incredibly low and the service we had for him was very small and did not place a financial burden on top of our grief. But this isn't always the case and my heart aches for those who, in addition to suffering a tremendous loss, have any sort of financial stress trying to figure out the one thing they never should have to - how to say goodbye to their baby. So in addition to running the 5K we also did a fundraiser for the Zoe Foundation and thanks to the generosity of friends and family, we passed our $500 goal and raised $525! For those of you who helped us get there - thank you so very, very much.

When we moved to Savannah I joined a stroller fitness group. I've always been a little apprehensive about groups like this since losing Cale. But in this group I've found some really kind women, who despite never enduring a similar loss, are very supportive and sympathetic. Most of them didn't know about Cale until recently and I was very touched by all those who signed up for this race and helped us honor him. Our group won the award for biggest team and the woman from our group who organized our team asked the race director to give me the award in honor of Cale. It was so nice to hear him mentioned in a public setting - a simple rarity that really means a lot. There were about 150 people who ran and probably another twenty or thirty who helped support and organize the race and considering it rained the ENTIRE time, I was really pleased with (and surprised by) the turnout.

The only downside of the day - I foolishly put my phone in the pocket of the stroller thinking it would stay dry. It did not.



I hope to participate in this race each year until we move (epecially if Miles pushes the stroller) and am so glad that we got to do some good in honor of Cale.


8 comments:

  1. your badass-ness continues to surprise me! so sweet that your group honored both you and Cale in that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I looooove this and love your Cale. I'm so happy these women and their families embraced Cale and you sharing your most beautiful son with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding a group like this must make Savannah really feel like home and not just a place you are stopping by. So so happy to read this. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome of all your new friends. Clearly so much love for your family and Cale. Made me tear up that you got the award in honor of him. Just learned of another sad loss this weekend...I hope the funds really help ease the stress of some grieving families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just teared up reading this post. What a wonderful group of women and a great event to honor Cale. I'm so glad they recognized you and mentioned Cale - how awesome to hear him spoken about in public!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy you guys met your goal! I'm loving that people said his name, and that so much was dedicated to him. So special. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. And agree on having Miles push the stroller!

    ReplyDelete