July 18, 2014

iPhone Cleanse

 As I mentioned in my last post, my phone got wet during a race we did over the weekend. It was totally my fault and I thought that by putting it in the zippered pouch on my stroller, it would stay dry in the ran. The worst part was that inside the same pouch were two plastic bags. In the end my phone and the two plastic bags got wet via the water that started to pool in bottom of the pouch.

I put the phone in rice, but it didn't turn on after 24 hours. I then went to Verizon to inquire about a replacement. Because we opted out of insurance and had recently upgraded, I would need to pay full retail for a replacement phone. That caused me to audibly groan in the store as full retail on my phone is $549.99. Not happening. I put the phone back in rice for several more days and today took it to a repair shop and for $29 they attempted to clean it, but confirmed that the logic board was too far damaged to be repaired.

I ended up ordering an iPhone 4 off Amazon (the irony being that we turned in our old 4's back in November and scored free 5's out of the deal). Now I needed to pay to downgrade which is a total first world problem, I realize, but still kinda annoying and frustrating nonetheless.

I had uploaded a good amount of my pictures on to my hard drive recently so didn't lose too many, though I did lose some here and there that I wish I had (a few pictures of Mary eating and a bunch I took when we took a trip to the fire station last month). Some other odd end pictures have been recovered thanks to people re-sending me some I had texted them within the last few weeks.

A lot of people asked me if my stuff was saved to the cloud and the truth is I don't really know. I'm pretty sure it wasn't as I've never done anything with the cloud - wouldn't I need to create an account or something to have my pictures and contacts backed up? Does anyone know how the cloud works and how one can retrieve things off of it? Please explain it to me the way you would to a five year old.

Also, does anyone have cell phone insurance? We said no, and even though my phone is ruined, I don't really regret that decision as it's $10 a month per line AND I still would have had to pay a $250 deductible. The iPhone 4 I purchased was cheaper than that - so is insurance really worth it? At $10 a month, I figure investing in a good cell phone case makes more sense.

So as I've adjusted back to having such an archaic phone (no Siri, no talk to text, smaller screen, oh the horror!) I have had to re add all of my contacts. This actually didn't bother me at all. It was kinda like doing a contact cleanse. I'll get back the numbers of people I actually want to contact at some point, and now don't have to go through the hassle of deleting all the rest. It's kinda like how every once in awhile a good cleanse is needed on your facebook friends.

I've also had to re add all of the apps I frequently use and for the sake of blogging, figured I would share those.

My friends Brandy and Priscilla are very deal savvy and introduced me to Ibotta, Shopkick, and Checkout51. Ibotta and Checkout51 are similar in that the offer little deals for items purchased in the grocery store, such $.25 for banana's or $.50 for a gallon of any brand milk. I only use them for things I purchase anyway, but since using Ibotta I've gotten $62.25 that has all been transferred to my paypal account. I don't use Checkout51 much, so only have about $8 there. I don't think I get any referral deals, but I do believe Ibotta offers a $2 referral to those who sign up, which you can do here. Shopkick is just another deal app where you scan products at stores (don't have to buy them) and you get 'kicks' for your scans. Kicks can be transferred to things like Target gift cards (I've gotten about $50 worth in those bad boys), free RedBox rentals, etc. So you should definitely add that to your phone if you haven't already. I'm pretty sure everyone is familiar with Target's Cartwheel app so I won't explain that one, nor will I share how much I've saved because Miles reads this blog and he will just want to know how much I had to spend in order to save that much. What a downer.


As for non finance related Apps, I use Instagram and an app to make picture collages, Pinterest, Groovebook, and Pandora. I did used to have the Facebook app, but will keep it off my phone for now.


So there ya have it. My iPhone woes and such. It really hasn't been a big deal (and I'm grateful to Miles for not giving me a hard time when I'm always on his case about not taking care of things). It was actually kind of nice to be phoneless for a few days. I do miss the camera quality the iPhone 5 has over the 4, but that's really about it. If your cell phone got ruined today would you be screwed, or do you have your act together and have all your stuff backed up?
................................................................................................

5 comments:

  1. Oh man! What a bummer. But on the bright side, you did do some cleaning house...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be screwed! And, I've already lost the majority of B's first 6 months in pictures, so you think I'd have learned.
    You'll have to let me know if you figure out the cloud. I get a message every time I charge my phone that tells me nothing is backed up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask you about this but thought sure you knew... If you take your broken phone to the Apple store, they will replace it for $200. I would have done the same and gone to Verizon as I thought that was the only option. I think you had to have created an iCloud account if you downloaded music or anything from iTunes. Should be the same password to get into iCloud. Apple store can help u with that too. We are close buds as I always screw up my phone. Also most importanly, GET A LIFEPROOF CASE!!! I dropped my new iPhone 5 in a toilet full of pee at disneyworld and had to reach my hand in to retrieve it but it was 100% fine! Call of text me later if u have questions about the apple store. And I may be able to walk u thru the cloud thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a TOTAL bummer!!

    I'm a very new iphone owner, but I've been using Dan's iphone for a year or so to surf or check out IG. I got the iphone 5s for a mother's day present this year (I bought the phone myself as it was on my plan, but Dan got the ball rolling and actually made it happen where phone was IN HAND, as I was soooooo not up for dealing with updating my plan, asking those questions to some rep on the phone...etc.) and since mid May, I have over 2500 pix.. I'm a little overwhelmed as I just snap a pic here and there whenever I want to capture a moment or an outfit... but seriously, what the heck am I going to do with all these pictures?! And this CLOUD everyone speaks of? **WHOOSH** right over my head with that thing.

    I wish you didn't lose so many pictures, and are now with a phone that is "crappier" than what you just had :( but as Brandy put it - at least you cleaned house a bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idea of "the cloud" cracks me up, and I like to imagine all kinds of household items end up there when I lose them. Like my keys. Daily. I recently uninstalled FB and IG to take a social media cleanse, and will re-add them soon, but it's definitely a time suck. Strangely freeing not to have them, I can only imagine what not having a phone was like for a few days. I just downloaded Ibotta and Shopkick - thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete