May 19, 2015

Butt Wiping and Other Milestones

*For a little over a week, Finn has been wiping his own butt and more importantly, doing a pretty good job at it! Hallelujah!

*Mary took a few steps the day before Mother's Day. Then this past weekend she took several more. More yesterday, more today, and so on. She's not preferring walking as her mode of transportation yet, but she's getting there. She had an OT assessment last week since she is a little slow to the walking game, but she scored in the normal range of all areas assessed and didn't qualify for services. It's always nice to be reassured there are no red flags.

*Mary turned 17 months old this past weekend. She still nurses about 2-3 times a day and while I'm so glad we have made it to this point, we are taking it day by day. I don't think I have much milk left, and when I do the Run Across Georgia this weekend I will be away from her for two days. My body doesn't respond to the pump anymore, so I'm afraid two days off may close up shop. We'll see.

*Speaking of the Run Across Georgia, I met my original fundraising goal (largely thanks to a builder in Columbus, GA who wanted to sponsor us and dropped 2k in my fundraising account!) but also because of my amazingly generous friends and family. I upped my goal to $5,000 and am ALMOST there! If you're reading this and have donated, thank you so, so much! And if you'd still like to donate, you can here. The run is this weekend.

*I can tell that the run is close because I had a toenail fall off last night. I have three nails that took a beating from a half marathon I did in March, then the training for RAG hasn't helped matters any. At any rate, it will be a loooong time before I get another pedicure. Losing a toenail isn't really a milestone, but whatever.

*Speaking of losing things, Finn was talking about Mary getting a tooth and I told him how he would start to lose his teeth in a few years. He paused, then said, "that doesn't sound good."

*Finn's fourth birthday is in a few weeks (what the what?!) and I think we are going to have a little beach get together. I may make it a "beach construction" theme, as he is requesting a digger on his birthday cake yet again. The other day he said he wanted a digger with tracks (last year the digger had wheels - my bad). Though there probably won't be much theme related stuff other than a cake (or cupcakes) and a bunch of construction toys for digging in the sand.

*Cale's fifth birthday is at the end of June (even harder to believe than it is Finn turning four) and I don't know what I want to do that day. Five seems so big. It is so big. I know we will continue the tradition we started last year of a family picnic somewhere and of course some birthday treat, but it doesn't seem like enough for five.

*Mary has a speech therapy assessment next week (the program evaluating her for any potential delays does assessments in all areas) and while I wish her language included more frequent "Mama" and "Dada" usage, she is starting to say "bra-bur" (brother) which is pretty much the cutest thing ever.

................................................................................................

8 comments:

  1. I had a folding table slip and slide into the front of my big toe - you know, one of the ones I had just rebuilt in surgery. It eventually turned black, but I couldn't believe how long it took to fall off. That was late October, and it just came off about two weeks ago. Sure enough, there's a normal toenail under there - only just about halfway in. Yours seemed to come off fast. Does it hurt to run with toenail issues? So far so good on mine with running, but I've never run more than 5 miles in one stint, so I'm not doing the distances you are.

    Also, I've never had a pedicure! The thought of someone touching my feet makes me crazy. I'm so ticklish. I had trouble even making it through appointments with my surgeon pre- and post- surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have almost $5k raised? You are seriously my idol. I'm honored to be your friend.

    Big milestones for butt wiping. I'm stoked for you. Mine doesn't even pull his pants or wash his hands solo. At least he uses the toilet. I'll just take what I can get.

    Bra-bur and steps. Sounds like Mary and Claire just take it easy in life. I love them. They are perfect additions. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for milestones, no red flags and SO much money raised for a good cause! Loosing toenails is lame, so long to be normal again. I hope next weekends runs go well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the toe nail. I could never be a serious runner because I'm too vain about my feet. (They are possibly my best feature.)

    HOO-RAH for butt wiping. I guess I have another year to go before I can look forward to that milestone. Great.

    So happy Mary's assessment went well. Girlfriend just chilling, enjoying her meatball status.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it weird I now want to see your feet?! As a former ballet dancer feet are a bizarre interest of mine.

      Delete
  5. Bra-bur is so sweet sounding. If I were Mary, I wouldn't be in a rush to do all of these things either. Why bother when others will help you? :) Glad all is okay, though!

    Congratulations on the fundraising!

    A fifth birthday does sound like a big, important one. I'm sure you'll come up with the perfect way to honor Cale. And this butt-wiping thing sounds like a huge milestone. Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. So much going on! Especially with birthday season. Is it a comfort at all to be closer to where you had Cale, or is there still too much distance for it to feel 'close'?

    Wiping himself, that calls for a party. Ethan has taken to showing up on my side of the bed at 6:30am to ask me to check his crack cleanliness...so we have a little work to do on how thorough he is. That's awesome to hear about Miss Mary. What a relief! And so adorable that she says brother. No doubt her brothers love her more than ever for it. Good luck this weekend, we will be praying and cheering you on from here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have some Ded. I. Ca. Tion. I remember getting a pedicure for a friend's wedding while I danced and frantically telling them to leave the calluses! It took me forever to build them!
    G is still iffy on the butt wiping. I lost the is it poop or is it chocolate lotto last month and I now encourage nudity while pooping and zero bathroom usage at school. This totes won't give her long term issues.

    ReplyDelete