August 24, 2015

Microblog Monday: Dental Hygiene

I went to the dentist today for a routine cleaning. I had to bring the kids, but fortunately my dentist's office is very kid friendly (or rather kid welcoming - they don't really have a huge kid area, but all the staff is really great with kids and understanding of them sometimes needing to tag along). But in order to encourage good behavior and keep the kids quiet for 15 minutes so I could get my teeth cleaned, I gave my children lollipops. That's right, sugar on a stick. At the dentist's office. They were organic, but not like that matters. And you know what, the kids were SO good. They were quiet and sweet and patient, but of course my dentist couldn't resist giving me a hard time about giving them a lollipop and I get it, I sort of walked in to that one. But I was also unjustifiably annoyed by it too. Because we brush their teeth, they fortunately have had no issues, are cavity free, etc. Finn gets his teeth cleaned twice a year (Mary will too, but I'm waiting until she gets more teeth), and they have very little sugar in the grand scheme of things. I, on the other hand, have a wicked sweet tooth and so when my dentist said I was cavity free (which means I've stayed that way since my last visit) I was really upset that there were no balloons or high fives or even an "atta girl!"because this is a really big deal, dude! Maybe he was too put off by my parenting choices to commend my dental hygiene. 


...................................................................................

7 comments:

  1. Do what you gotta do. mothering children who can be bribed into keeping quiet while you are out of commission for that long is a major win! And hell yeah no cavities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for you!!! That MA is a doll. I love her tan legs, her sandals, and her pigtails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So just the one lollipop then? hahah I would have given 12 if it kept my girls quiet while I was at an appt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When el dentist has to drag two toddlers to his own cleaning he can start judging. I'll give you an atta girl for no cavities and kids with far better dental hygiene than on average! Seeing as how I have a kid with 3 crowns and 2 spacers from destroyed/pulled teeth...

    Oh and at my kid-friendly dentist we watch cartoons (I've also downloaded movies for the doctor's office)...because screen time is SO much better for them than sugar, right? :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary looks so darling in this photo (as always). No cavities is a huge feat! Go you. I always feel so proud on the (rare) occasion that I don't have any. My husband has NEVER had a cavity and it irritates me to no end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally got your email but was a dumbo about getting back to you, sorry! Um, SHUSH Mr. Dentist! And really, are your cleanings only 15 minutes? I feel like I'm in there an hour every single darn time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really ticks me for you. Not the cute, well behaved kids but this whole Dentist-god complex thing. Drives me bonkers. No other professional do we go see routinely that makes you feel horrid about yourself, your practices etc and still we keep going back. I have not been to the dentist in too long, mostly because of trauma (I do not handle tubes and medical things in my mouth well since the coma) but with each passing day I feel worse about the length of time it has been and the LECTURE and lack of empathy regarding this that I will be met with. Yet, we go back. Because we have to.

    I would love to meet a dentist that gets it That gets that hells yes you gave your kid sugar on a stick to keep them quiet. That hells yes I haven't been because the last visit required EMDR trauma therapy to recover from and the mere thought of going makes me cry. Just one of those things I guess.

    ReplyDelete