December 8, 2015

Trip to Korea and Japan

Last month approximately 48 hours after the crap-tastic Marathon I was on a plane headed to link up with Miles in Eastern Asia! For three months Miles was deployed to South Korea and oddly enough (fortunately enough!) his unit was given a week of leave just prior to his return home. We figured since the Army already paid for his ticket, we should take advantage of the opportunity and try to get a kid free trip in while he was over there. It wouldn't have been possible without my sister and my mother-in-law who both helped watched the kids while I was away.

I flew from the states to Seoul, South Korea then hoped on another flight to Tokyo, Japan where I met up with Miles. We spent three days exploring Tokyo before flying back to Seoul for another three days. In Japan we stayed in an AirBnB which was wonderful! It was close walking distance to the subway and cheaper than a hotel. Plus we were able to eat there if we wanted, though we mostly ate out, and do laundry. In Korea we actually stayed at the hotel on one of the Army posts there (in Yongsan) which was WAY nicer than I was expecting. It also was conveniently located to the subway and lots of the places we visited. On the day I was supposed to fly home my flight was overbooked and I got a bonus day in Korea where I was put up in a fancy hotel (near airport), given meal vouchers, and $800 travel credit! Thankfully grandma wasn't set to fly home yet and was able to watch the kids one more day and Miles was able to come out and spend the evening with me after getting some work done at his base. It was a really wonderful trip and I'm so grateful we were able to see a part of the world neither of us had been to before. It makes me anxious to do more traveling and check more off the life travels bucket list.

I'll let the picture overload tell the rest of the trip in more details.

Shibuya Crossing - Tokyo version of Times Square
Top Pictures: Meiji Shrine where we saw a traditional wedding procession
Bottom Pics: Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
View of the SkyTree Tower
We toured the SkyTree at night which provided a really awesome view of the city.
In the plaza of the SkyTree was a German Christmas Market! We were excited to get Gluhwein
which we last had in Germany three years ago!
Right Pictures: Sensoji Temple. 
Tokyo Tower - a smidge taller than the Eiffel Tower, but not at tall as the SkyTree
I left 100% of the navigation up to Miles.
Nom Nom. Top Pics: Sushi in Japan
Bottom Pics: Korea. Nothing about the churro picture screams "Korea,"
but they were some damn good churros!
Korean War Memorial. This place was massive and incredibly well put together.
The statue in the top left depicts two brothers, one who was forced to fight for the
North Koreans and they found one another on the battlefield.


Top Left: View from our hotel. All other pictures are from the Changdeokgung Palace
I don't have nearly as many pictures from Seoul as I do from Tokyo, but that's largely do to the fact that about half the time it was rainy and overcast out. The fog was so bad on the day I had hoped to see the Seoul Tower, we ended up scratching that off the list. Of course the weather cleared the day I left. Nonetheless it was a lovely trip!

One page filled! (I actually was kind of bummed they squeeze all the stamps on the same page)
About a week after I returned home, Miles and his unit came back and we are so grateful to have him home for the holidays. As Finn said, "we really missed you, Daddy."

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful trip! And I'm really glad Miles is home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm gluhwein. The national gardens and palace look beautiful. Glad you had such a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing about your travels! Looks like you all had a wonderful trip. I'm so glad you were able to get away!

    ReplyDelete