January 5, 2016

New Year, Old Projects

I'm very behind documenting and sharing some of the home improvement projects we (and by 'we' I mean Miles) finished last year. We'll start with the faux wainscoting look he created in the playroom. When we moved in to our house we made the formal dining room our play room. Like the rest of the house, the color of the walls was this peachy-beige that we promptly had painted over. We hired someone to paint pretty much the entire house a shade of grey, the only exceptions are the living room and downstairs bathroom which I painted "Sea Salt" by Sherwin Williams, Mary's room which is a similar light aqua color, and the dining room turned play room which I hadn't decided how I wanted to paint so the painters left that room untouched. But shortly after the house was painted I decided I wanted the dining room (play room) to be grey as well, but that I wanted to only paint above the chair rail and below I would paint white and Miles could create a faux wainscoting look. 

Here's a picture of the room when we first moved in:

The beige doesn't look too bad in pictures, but in certain lights was more on the peachy-pink side
I don't really have any pictures after I painted, but behind the naughty dog you can see that the walls were two toned:


And here are some of the "during" pictures when Miles was measuring out the wood he cut and framed for the wall:


It was a fairly simple project and one I'm so thrilled with because I feel like the room looks like it always was this way. You definitely can't tell that Miles is an amateur as the finished product looks very professional, which is good since I'm neurotic and type A. I  think it makes the room fancier which is nice for when we go to sell/rent the house as it may likely be used for it's intended purpose as a formal dining room, but even if it's used as a playroom again it just adds a nice touch.



................................................................................................

6 comments:

  1. Dude, that looks great! Nice work, Miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. And goodbye to band-aid colored walls. Good riddance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I was just talking to Peter about doing the same in our dining/living rooms...but it might take a few years. The master was more than enough for one month! Also, I'm sad for you that you're going to have to sell or rent. White colonial homes with a big front porch are perfection to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fantastic! Great work and such a nice space for the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks soooo good!!! Very professional. Clean and modern. But still classic! Your playroom is darling btw

    ReplyDelete