May 17, 2011

Baby Blanket

After Cale was born he was cleaned up, put in a diaper, and wrapped in a yellow blanket. This is how Miles and I held him. Our perfect, beautiful little baby.

When we left the hospital, we left with a little purple box which contained his pictures, foot prints, a lock of his hair, a card with his weight and measurements, the yellow blanket, his diaper, and a beanie. Miles and I decided that we will bring the blanket to the hospital with us when I deliver Finley so that he too can be wrapped in the same blanket his brother was wrapped in. We plan to do it for all our children so that they all share something tangible from their births.

I brought the blanket in to get monogrammed the other day. I wanted to wash it first because I hadn't yet from when Cale was wrapped in it. That was hard. It didn't have a smell to it our anything that made it especially difficult, but I couldn't help but feel a little guilty washing something that had once touched my son's skin. But washed or not washed, just holding on to the blanket is comforting since Cale was wrapped in it. And that will always be the case many years, and many washes later.


I'm pleased with how it turned out and I'm anxious to hold Finley wrapped in the same blanket. Then we'll get his name and birthday added to another corner and it'll just make that sweet little blanket that much more special.

9 comments:

  1. Such a lovely tradition to start

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a sweet idea, I am crying!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing caroline!
    just knowing you will be so close to both of your lil men is beautiful!
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really sweet idea. They wrapped Caroline in a pink blanket that said "In Loving Memory," and I cherish it. I have to admit, I haven't been able to wash it. I don't know if I ever will be able to. That was the blanket that was directly on her skin, but we wrapped her in a handmade blanket too. I hadn't really thought of using it for Addalee too, so I'm glad you shared this idea!

    I think this is a wonderful way to keep Cale close to his siblings...such an important thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's wonderful and the blanket looks gorgeous. I only wish we would've brought our own blanket into the hospital for Andrew. Since I was in labor but still being a first-time mom, I didn't know if I was "enough" in labor, so we left the bags in the car. When we found out he died, we didn't even bother getting our things from the car until literally hours before we left, two days later. We didn't need anything because all we packed was for Andrew and there would be no take-home baby. But now I wish we had anyway. My husband didn't want to leave my side for a minute once we found out about his death, though, so that was reason enough. :(

    But that blanket you had embroidered is gorgeous. Love the idea of carrying this on to the next sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the blanket and love the idea of using it as the constant with each child! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The monogram of Cale's name turned out beautiful. I can't wait to see Finley all wrapped up in it sharing something tangible with his big brother. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caroline - I'm reading old parts of your blog, as you were about as far out from welcoming Finn as I am from (hopefully) welcoming Bowie. This one is really touching!

    ReplyDelete