May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

After Cale was born I remember wondering what Mother's Day would be like. It seemed so far away and I knew that it had the potential to be a difficult day. And now it's here and it's hard to believe that so much time has passed since I held that sweet little boy who made me a Mom. It hasn't been a great day, but by no means has it been a bad day either. I've been so thankful for all the thoughtful messages, cards, calls, etc. I received today wishing me a Happy Mother's Day. It's meant so much.

And today, even when my heart is heavy, I'm comforted by some wonderful thoughts.
 
Like the fact that I get to celebrate this day because of Cale:


And his brother:


 And let's certainly not forget this guy. I'm his mother too:


And I'm that fortunate, to be a mother two (three if you count the dog) times over because of this amazing lady . . . my mom:



In closing I'd like to share "The Mama Project" with you all. A local photographer here in town, Jessica Flynn, donated her time, talent, and her heart towards this very special project. She wanted to do something for mother's who have lost a child so she met with a group of us mama's and took our pictures, listened to our stories, and got to know a little about our children. She asked that we bring something that either reminds us of our babies or that just had some sentimental value to it. It was hard to choose one thing, but I chose a book my in-laws sent me when I was pregnant with Cale - Oh Baby, the Places You'll Go!, which is meant to be read in utero. I read it to Cale often and always felt that he was attentive and active when I was reading it. I now read it to his brother, loving them both at the same time. You'll have to excuse the fact that in these pictures I look like I desperately need sleep. Or more make-up. Or botox. Probably all of the above. But regardless, I was very happy to be a part of The Mama Project, and just so grateful for the kindness that people like Jessica, and my wonderful friends and family, have shown, today and every day.

3 comments:

  1. Love this post, mama of three! I am glad that yesterday wasn't too rough on you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Caroline, so happy that you had a good Mother's day! (as good as it can be, with no baby in your arms!). Did I understand that right...our rainbows might be the same name? I feel bad...but they will share a super cute one!! :) I hope you have a wonderful week, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline! That Mama Project was incredible. I just wanted to hug each and every one of you strong moms.

    ReplyDelete