April 23, 2013

Mr. Williams

My friend Lauren lives in a neighborhood two miles away from us. Not long after we moved to Texas, when I would drive to Lauren's house, I would notice this sweet old man who would sit at the edge of his driveway and wave at the cars going by. He's hard to miss - as long as the weather is nice, he can always be counted on to be outside waving.

 

After waving a few times, I decided that I should stop and say hi. Now I make it a point to stop and visit every time I see him. Sometimes I plan my run route along his street if I think he will be outside. Mr. W.J Williams is a WWII Veteran and lives with his niece who he calls "the baby" though if I had to guess I'd say she's in her late sixties or early seventies He calls me Sugar and refers to himself as Grandpa when he sees Finn. He and his wife Evelynn were married for 60 years, never having any children of their own. He loves to sit and talk and keeps a notebook with notes about the people who stop to visit with him. My friend Lauren is listed in the book as "Lauren - ponytail" other entries detail the kind of car a person drives or if they have a dog. He likes to write these things down to help him remember people.

This past weekend Mr. Williams turned 96, though he said "would you believe Sugar, that I'm going to be 22 this weekend?" "You don't look a day over 21," I said.

I brought him a little treat (he loves pies and cakes) and when I showed up and wished him a happy birthday he said, with the biggest grin on his face, "I think everyone should get to be 96!"

I think so too, Mr. Williams.


................................................................................................

15 comments:

  1. This made me tear up. My grandpa, another Mr. Williams, was also a WWII veteran.

    Please keep stopping by to visit him. We are losing these guys every day. You're a doll for spending time there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the sweetest thing, Caroline. I just finished drafting a weepy piece on the blog (unpublished) and then I come to read this. Mr. Williams is precious.

    Though can we talk about being 96? I'm not sure I could handle that myself. But I'm sure glad Mr. Williams is working it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I read that you started visiting him I thought OF COURSE you do! Doesn't surprise me at all that you do this. Sugar, you are truly the sweetest! And Mr. W is right! I wish everyone was so lucky to grow old!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really made me tear up, and then smile real big.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now you made me cry...

    ReplyDelete
  6. And now you made me cry...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes my heart smile :) perhaps I need to adopt your run route to say hi to him too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so amazing my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Awesome Caroline!! Soo sweet of you!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you more and more all the time! Mr. Williams is pretty cool. What a sweet thing to do, stop by and have a chat. People need to have connections to other people

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not surprised at all! You are such a sweet person. Mr. Williams is a lucky fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gah! I love this. And you. So sweet that you've taken the time to get to know him. It's funny how inspiration can turn up in crazy places :-)

    ReplyDelete