April 18, 2013

Favorite Things Party

Little by little I'm knocking out my 30 things to do before I'm 30. Tonight I threw a "Favorite Things" Party. I heard about this about a year ago and knew I'd want to do it at some point. I asked my friends to bring three of their favorite things (all the same item) that did not exceed $10.


We sat around and ate lots of food that I failed to take enough pictures of, but below are some links to the recipes.

 
Angel Food Cake Kabobs  
 Pumpkin Pie Dip
Spinach Artichoke Dip
Sweet Chicken Wrapped Bacon

And then we shared our favorite things. Each person drew three names and those are the people who they gave their favorite thing to. We had lots of great gifts - chapstick, a book, Mrs. Meyers cleaning products and soaps, cute notecards, post-it's, Cupcake vodka, body scrubs,  and Clinic eye makeup.


My favorite thing was the book. I had thought about giving The Art of Racing in the Rain because everyone who came is a dog lover (and seriously if you own a dog and have not read this book you need to), but I ended up going with Carry On, Warrior. I haven't read it yet, but it's written by the woman who writes the blog Momastery which is a blog I enjoy reading. Her "Don't Carpe Diem" article (which I wrote about here) got popular about a year back and I've been reading her blog ever since.

I made little goody bags for my friends which just included a few smaller favorites of mine - Oreos (God bless Nabisco), a cute little bin and tissue pack from my favorite place in the world - Target, some fun twine, and a bottle of nail polish.


 It was a pretty fun evening and we've decided that we need to have a Favorite Things Party each season.

 Me and Jenny -- Baby Maddie -- the two pregnant gals who both received vodka, go figure.

On a totally unrelated note, but now a new favorite thing of mine, is this Breast Cancer Awareness video I want to share. Being on my Facbook sabbatical means I'm not privy to the occasional awesome video that gets shared a million times over, or in this case nearly six million. Fortunately my sister-in-law shared this with me. If you haven't seen it yet, you're welcome:



................................................................................................

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Sounds like a perfect idea for a girls night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very jealous I don't have friends who throw these parties. What a freaking cute idea. Also, Mrs. Meyers soaps are the best. Best. I love EOS! Honeydew is my favorite one. Lemon is no bueno.

    I am not on fb, so I've never seen the video. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a blast! I'm totally stealing your idea.

    Just tore through that book after going to her book signing at our local bookstore last week...she was even better in person:) And read the Target chapter out loud...hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! What an awesome party! I wish you lived just a few hours closer my friend :) going to have to check out that book and some of those recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So jealous! Did you love preparing for it? Don't call me out when I copy your idea...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this party idea and I even went out to get some "Cupcake Vodka" now that I'm not pregnant anymore!!! Def doing this before Kyle deploys! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kinda want to have this party! Or be invited to one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I wish I still lived only a few miles away! I love the video, too :)

    ReplyDelete