September 3, 2013

Pregnancy Announcements

When I got pregnant for the first time I unintentionally started a little tradition of how I would inform Miles I was pregnant. The morning I got a positive test, I was so excited and Miles had already left for work so I had no choice but to just sit with the information all day and during that time I came up with how I wanted to tell him. I wanted it to be in special and memorable way, and I wanted Miles to be the first person I told. Well, Roscoe has always been the very first to know, but he's a good secret keeper.

With Cale, I let Roscoe do the honors when Miles came home from work:



With Finn, I got up early, took the test, and then went and made Miles a little breakfast in bed:


With my third pregnancy, I decided to write on our bellies and Finn and I would share the news together. We had just eaten a large dinner of chicken parm and Miles went to get the bath ready for Finn. While he was doing this, I took a crayola marker to our stomachs and then as Finn and I walked into the bathroom I said "let's go show daddy what's in our belly's":


It worked. Miles was shocked. I believe his reaction was "no way!" and it created a happy little memory of a far too brief pregnancy.

So this most recent time when I learned I was pregnant I really had no clue how to tell Miles. I had used up all my clever ways, but still wanted to stick with tradition and 1. come up with something special and 2. inform Miles before anyone else (ie my sister). So, I kinda cheated and just decided to reuse the same idea as last time. I had tested that morning and planned to tell him when he got home from work, only he came home a little early to grab Finn and I and head out the door to meet some people from work for dinner. So I decided to just wait until we got home (it's hard sitting through a meal with that kind of news on your mind). When we got home, I quickly wrote on Finn's belly when Miles wasn't around and let him discover it when he went to change Finn into pajamas. I made sure to be in the room to see his reaction. As soon as he lifted Finn's shirt and saw "grilled cheese" he turned to me with big optimistic eyes and smiled and lifted up my shirt which revealed "baby."

Even though it was a repeat way of telling him, it was still special and his reaction, knowing what the writing on the belly indicated, was really priceless. I made him and Roscoe get in on the action too and these pictures ended up being the way we shared the news with family a few months later: 





................................................................................................

15 comments:

  1. Great ideas! Love the writing on the bellies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of these ideas! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so cute. I would like you to direct my life. Both times I told David were memorable, just because of what they were, but not very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Brooke. I'd like to get in your head, and take notes constantly! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!!! So cute, creative and full of love! Thank you so much for sharing, made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so lovely to have all those memories, of each 'reveal.' I can't even remember how I told R that I was pregnant with M; there were so many losses before him that I don't think we had any hope left and there was no celebrating the positive. I feel badly for that now, but that's how it was. I'm so glad you will always have these photos - they're so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though I knew what was coming bc I had seen the pics, I cried throughout this anyway. Ha. You always make me cry!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering if you'd be able to top the adorableness of your previous announcements. Silly me-of course you did! Can you please plan all of my future key events? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering if you did anything with this wee one! You're so inventive! One day I might hit you up for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness that is so sweet!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are just the best. What wonderful memories of all your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, you are adorable. That is all I have to say about that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love you! You are fabulous. I love all your babies. Lads or lassies.

    ReplyDelete