March 22, 2014

Mary's Nursery

Several months before Mary was born I knew I wanted to redecorate the nursery. This was a pretty big deal for two reasons. First, because I was thrilled that I was hopeful and excited enough to decorate the nursery prior to actually bringing home a baby - something I had a hard time doing when pregnant with Finn. But also because it meant that I would part ways with the things that were so carefully placed and chosen when I was pregnant with Cale, and what Finn ultimately used for over two years. I shared their nursery decor here, and while there was the possibility we could have had another boy, I still just felt like I wanted a change in there. But that meant I would need to go with something that was gender neutral. I stumbled upon a clearance rug at Target (where most of the items for the nursery were purchased), and decided that red and aqua would be my colors!

What I love most about the room are the little personal touches. So much loved poured into this little baby and so many people who have helped us celebrate her and it just makes me happy to see those sprinkled throughout her room.

The rug shown below was my original inspiration for the room and the colors. I wanted to make a lot of the bedding and I found a clearance curtain that I ended up using to make the crib skit. I eventually plan to make a bumper, but haven't decided what print to use yet as I don't want it to be too busy as there is already a lot going on. The quilt was made by a family friend (who was also my 2nd grade teacher). She asked my mom what colors I was going with and put together this amazing quilt. The bunting was a little project I did the weekend before Mary was born. I just felt that the wall behind the crib needed a little something and love how it came together.


I bought the letter 'M' at Hobby Lobby and painted it aqua to hang on the door. The 3Sprouts Peacock mobile is just hanging on the closet door for now as I just got it through a discount website for $7! The curtains (also on clearance!) are from Target and I didn't get them until after Mary was born as I thought they were a little too girlie and in the event we had a boy, I would have gone with something different.


I recovered an old pillow with the aqua chevron, and Miles made the shelves above the bookshelf from this Ana White tutorial. Finn often comes in the nursery to pick out a book and read. I hope Mary loves books as much as he does.


On the shelves there are some pictures I took of Mary as a newborn, as well as one from our photographer Neely. Some free printables found here and here, the willow tree angel was a gift from my friend Rhiannon on Cale's 2nd birthday - she is holding forget-me-nots, and the ceramic tile which reads "Our Dear ones never leave us; they live in our hearts forever" was a gift from a family friend after Cale passed away.

On top of the bookshelf is another Neely pic, basket full of cards Mary received and some pictures, and the lampshade (from Target)  matches a picture frame from my friend Julia as well as the fabric for the crib skirt). The other side of the bookshelf has a picture of Mary in the rainbow bloomers - a gift from my dear friend Megan and it is next to framed rainbow quote "Tell me what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" which was a gift from my friend Brooke upon Mary's arrival.


On the side of the room with the changing table, there is a mirror that I found in the clearance section of IKEA - I just painted it the same aqua as the 'M' hanging on her door and made a mini bunting to hang across the top of it. Next to it is a sweet frame my friend Danielle sent Mary, and a little hook for all her hair bows and headbands. Her changing pad cover is an Aden & Anais cover that someone purchased online, but returned in store to Target so they discounted it 50% - it has little aqua and grey stars.


On the opposite wall is her dresser which isn't any different than how it was in Finn's room - I have the framed sketch of Cale (which happens to have a litle blueish aqua matting to it), some stuffed animals, and this quote:



 So there ya have it. Mary's red and aqua nursery!

Hands down, the best part of it all is having this sweet baby fill the room with smiles and love.

................................................................................................

8 comments:

  1. Red & turquoise are two of my favorite colors and you used them beautifully in Mary's nursery! I just can't enough of her...so precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really great!! You did an awesome job! I Heidi your other friend gave you the other willow tree that's sitting on the changing table as a gift when you were pregnant with Cale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, so how come I had no idea you were doing this and that there was so much beauty and effort put into it? The bunting is my absolute favorite thing. It ties everything in together so wonderfully. I looooove it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a BEAUTIFUL room!! You really have a knack for this stuff. I've always loved your eye for decorating and pulling things together.

    You'd think with picking a few jumping off points, coordinating colours, framing a few precious pieces...it would all just look great, but my attempts never look like this! You do awesome work! I've loved seeing Mary lounging about in her stylish room <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know i love all of this. That quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love it all. Absolutely perfect little room for the perfect little girl. So much love present too, especially with those two big brothers who adore her so.

    ReplyDelete