June 3, 2011

Lucky in Love

{Warning: This post will be cheesy, and sappy, and all around nauseating. Read at your own risk.}

If there's one thing over the past year that I can say, without any doubt or question, I am most thankful for, it would be my marriage. We may have fallen on bad luck at times, but I feel incredibly lucky in love.

Yesterday, Miles and I celebrated our 4th Anniversary. I know, I know - some of you are probably thinking "ohhh - a whopping four years - big deal," but over those four years we have endured a lot. I could go on and on about how hard it's been to endure the separations the deployments have brought us, or the worry and stress they add. But there are so many others going through the same thing. And yesterday I got to celebrate with Miles and I am so thankful to finally be able to do that. And we have lots of reason to celebrate us because quite frankly, I think we rock.

In light of some recent (albeit a little unnecessary) purchases, we agreed to no gifts for each other this year but to go out to dinner. We exchanged cards in the morning, yet when I came home from work I came home to a dozen roses and a beautiful note. He wrote me a wonderfully touching note on the same paper that he writes me during deployments when he writes me one letter every day he is gone. I know, how spoiled am I? I have tupperware bins full of these letters. His thoughtfulness is one of the things I love most about him.

I loved Miles the day I married him - I think most people should love their mate before taking the plunge, kinda an important prerequisite. But over the last four years, the last year in particular, I've realized the meaning of love and I've realized how important it is to share your life with someone you truly love who loves you in return. I've also realized how much I need him.

After we lost Cale we heard a lot of scary statistics about how many relationships fail after the death of a child. But in those first few days after our loss, I knew it was already making us stronger and bringing us closer together. Less than eight months after losing his son, Miles lost his brother and while losing Daren didn't impact our relationship in the same way as the death of a child, it certainly impacted us as people and as individuals. But through everything, the good, the bad, the joy and pain, our love for each other has been a constant. It's something I know I can always rely on and I look forward to living the rest of my life, no matter what that may bring, with Miles by my side.

These were taken after we went out for our Anniversary dinner.
I couldn't decided which one Roscoe looked cuter in so am including them both.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Caroline,

    Beautiful pictures.

    Congratulations on your 4th anniversary.

    Best,

    Coastal Blue Ocean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated anniversary! You guys look great :) It is such a blessing to have found the one who truly completes you and makes you whole. I am thankful for that everyday, too. I am so glad that you guys got to spend this one together! Many more, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary (a few days late)!!!!!!!! What a blessing it is that this one was spent together! I love the pictures, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THE PHOTOS!!!! Beautiful post. Can't wait to see you in 3 weeks...yes I did finally buy a ticket:) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just getting caught up- you look AMAZING momma. You and your husband are so cute. Love that this year has brought you so much closer, though I obviously wish it wasn't for THIS reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written and completely true. What I love about your writing is how honest it is - I write for a living, and trust me, this is rare to find. I truly enjoy reading your blog. And...I LOVE that at this minute you are snuggling Baby Finn and basking in the joy you deserve. xoxo -Jess

    ReplyDelete