March 10, 2013

I've got spirit, yes I do. I've got spirit, how 'bout you?

Each year the West Point Society's across the country host a Founder's Day dinner to celebrate when Thomas Jefferson signed the document that founded the military academy in 1802. I've been to them before and usually they are a semi-formal affair with a mixture of old grads, recent grads, cadets, and cadet candidates. When I went to one out in Arizona as a cadet, I had to wear my formal uniform, full dress, the super uncomfortable one:


I never went to one while I was still active duty, but the Founder's Day Dinner in Georgia was equally formal with officers wearing their Blues.

But this year my friend Julia told me about the dinner that the Texas Society hosts and instead of making it a formal affiar, they just make it more fun (and as such many of those in attendance used it as a chance to get schwasted on a weekday). The "uniform" is as-for-spirit so we dug up some old cadet items and people rocked whatever Army/West Point attire they wanted - to include old cadet bathrobes and shower shoes.

We didn't stay the whole time as we needed to get home to our friend who was watching Finn, but it was a pretty fun evening. Kinda strange as it felt like a blast from the past, especially running in to people I haven't seen since I graduated, but I'm glad we went.



................................................................................................

6 comments:

  1. You guys are cuuuuute. I see why Miles fell for the adorable brunette in her dress blues. {is that what you West Point peeps call them?}

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun!! You're hot!!
    Looks like you had alot of fun!
    I miss seeing Ben in his uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a good idea! Our Society does a super stuffy, formal event and asks you to pay way too much money for mediocre food. Boo! Glad you guys had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Glad you guys had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like fun :) Maybe we wouldn't have skipped to go skiing if ours was that cool...

    ReplyDelete