March 4, 2013

Happy 27th, Daren

Today my brother-in-law should be turning 27. Instead, two years ago today we attended his funeral at West Point. We sang him Happy Birthday at the end of the service. It was really special and really, really sad.

As I mentioned on the anniversary of his passing, we want today, his birthday, to be more of a celebration, especially as Finley gets older. So today we ate chicken fingers (Daren's favorite) and we enjoyed an ice cream cake. Even Finn got down on Daren's Birthday dinner - I'm just thankful that Daren's favorite dish wasn't a plate full of vegetables because then we'd have issues!

Chicken Fingers, Fries, and Beer.

 Happy Birthday toast!

This was the smallest cake they had. Oh darn.

A little over a week ago we completed the CrossFit Hero WOD that was created for Daren. Miles has done it before, but I never have - I've never really done a CrossFit workout before that was longer than ten minutes and oh. my. goodness. this was a total smoker. Here's the workout normally:

"Hidalgo"
For time:
Run 2 miles
Rest 2 minutes
135 pound Squat clean, 20 reps
20 Box jump, 24" box
20 Walking lunge steps with 45lb plate held overhead
20 Box jump, 24" box
135 pound Squat clean, 20 reps
Rest 2 minutes
Run 2 miles

I obviously had to scale the weight back a lot. A whole lot. And it still was exhausting. Oh, and did I mention that you are supposed to wear a 20 lb weight vest for the entire workout! Yeah, I didn't do that. Roscoe ran the first two miles with me and we had a lot of great friends come out to complete it as well. The gym that hosted it raised donations for Daren's Memorial Fund and they had a great turnout of people (probably around 40-50 total) who didn't even know Daren, but who wanted to do the workout in his honor. It was really great to see.


Happy Birthday Daren, we love you.

................................................................................................

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness it was on his birthday? I didn't know that. Unbelievable.

    Maybe you scaled the weight back a lot but that still looks like a TON on that bar! Must be why I never got into the whole crossfit scene. I love that Finn & Roscoe participated too.

    Happy Birthday, Daren, I hope your heaven party was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Daren.

    I love the tradition of having his favorite meal on his birthday. Love it. And the toast... of course I love that, too. And the Yuengling? Love that, too.

    And that workout? Yeah. Love might not be the word I'd choose, but I'm so proud of you for completing that. You guys are honoring Daren in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers to Daren!
    I am sure this is something that he would do and it would come easy to him! Pretty sure he was cheering you on and honored that you would do it for him and in honor of him!
    Pretty sure that lunge weight would be on my head and not above my head!
    Happy Birtday Daren, might just slip a beer in for you tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Finley cheering to Uncle Daren! Adorable.
    And way to go on Daren's WOD!!! I have heard it a huge ass kicker. He would have been proud of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome way to celebrate Daren's birthday! I love Finn joining you in on the toast!

    ReplyDelete