February 20, 2015

Hidalgo Hero WOD

Four years ago today Miles' younger brother Daren was killed in Afghanistan. It's always hard to believe when another milestone comes and goes, another year without him. This morning to mark the anniversary of his passing I completed his Hero WOD, "Hidalgo," which was created by CrossFit headquarters as a way to pay tribute to the fallen. I've done this workout once before, and while both times I scaled back the weight (a lot), it still was a smoker of a workout!

Today's workout was done with the stroller group I exercise with, Stroller Strong Moms. I was really touched that they wanted to help us honor Daren and that so many participated despite the (literal) freezing temperatures we had this morning. I may have had snot frozen to my face during the run, but it felt good to do something for Daren.

Four years later and we miss him just the same. Four years later, we love him just the same.


................................................................................................

4 comments:

  1. Thought about y'all a lot this week! Blessings to the whole Hidalgo family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to get to share Daren with friends who so obviously care about him (and you)! I put in some mass intentions for Daren and am sending prayers for the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing and so strong. Inside and out. You are so strong Caroline. To carry all of life's cruelties in such a beautiful, honouring way...it takes strength. And love. And a pure spirit. All of which you have.

    I know I'm late to this post, but I send my love to all of you...Daren's parents are held close in my heart as they miss their son xo

    ReplyDelete