September 13, 2015

Finn's First 5k

Yesterday we ran the Tunnel to Towers 5k which is a race that happens all over the country in honor of Stephen Siller who was a New York Firefighter killed in 9/11. He ran back to the towers (via the tunnel systems as the roads were blocked) in full kit after his shift ended. The firefighters and Rangers wear full kit which is what Miles' did for last year's race, but unfortunately he's away for this year's race so Finn was my running buddy instead along with my good friend Michelle who was nice enough to capture these pictures for me.

Local boy and girl scouts wear pictures of all the fallen first responders and line up along one of our big parks during the half way point of the race. During that very powerful stretch of the race I let Finn get out of the stroller and run with me. He was thrilled. He gave high fives all along the way and the louder people would cheer the more he would pump his little arms and hustle those little legs. He ran again at the finish and while participating in this run is already so special, seeing him run his little heart out really made it that much more memorable. 




Look at those little arms in action.


Michelle with our little runner. I love that even the kids got bibs.
Finn felt so official.
I purchased that headband on zulily a few months ago
never thinking I would get as much use out of it as I have! Murica!

................................................................................................

5 comments:

  1. So, I love this. I can't wait for Benjamin to get this excited to run with me. We were on a trail walk today and Benjamin often says, "Let's run, Mommy!" and so I take off with him until he tells me he's tired. They're mostly sprints, but it's so fun to see him excited.

    I remember this race from last year and seeing pictures of Miles in full gear. I love how supportive you guys are and how much love you put into everything. Finn has such great role models in you guys.

    And um. You are SMOKIN' woman! Your arms are BAM. Hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS!!! So awesome to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really great! It (almost) makes me want to run a race like this with Bode. Someday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet. And dang, you are looking ripped from head to toe!! Awesome that you all got to participate together. Hope everyone's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you and to Finn! Look at you go with that double stroller. You are an inspiration and I echo what others said - you look amazing! What a special way to remember such a sad event and the heroes who were there.

    ReplyDelete