September 4, 2015

I Cleaned the Keurig (and Other Small Miracles)

I have about an hour before I need to force myself to go to bed and when I get in bed, I can read or fall asleep. I'm trying to forbid myself from any screen time when I'm laying in bed. I've read how it makes it harder for your mind to wind down and of course the real problem for me is that it just makes me stay up later than I intended. My sister-in-law and I were texting last night and trying to think of ways to encourage one another to actually start doing some of the things we say we are going to do (like go to bed earlier). I am not very good at keeping on top of a lot of the little things on my to-do list and eventually my list is overwhelming and I find myself just thinking about all the things I need to do and not actually doing them.

Today I decided I needed to do it, just do it. I had a pretty busy day scheduled already, but knew I could knock out a couple big (and little) things on my list. I watched a friend's kids for a couple of hours and we are also dog sitting this weekend for two friends, so for part of the day I had three dogs and four kids in the house. As a result "clean the playroom" was added to my list of things to do.

A lot of little creatures up in here
 After half the kiddos left I had to take my car to get an oil change which is only about 1.5 miles away. So I dropped the car off and ran back home, pushing the kids in the stroller where I came home to the most thoughtful care package of Trader Joe goodies from my friend Brandy. We don't have Trader Joe's here (SUCH a tragedy) so I was especially thrilled for all the treats!


Then after the kids' nap I ran back to get my car. I put MA's hair up real quick so she wouldn't get her lollipop stuck in it (because that's right dentist, I give my kids' suckers!) and she gave me this look which I fear I may see a lot of during the teenage years:


Then back home for more cleaning and taking care of things I've been putting off for too long like changing out burnt out light bulbs and even washing out some lights that had dead bugs in them. Gross! I cleaned two bathrooms, put away clothes (though not all), did one load of diaper laundry, and prepared one bag for Goodwill. 

Safety First. Make the kids do it!
My biggest accomplishment of the day was cleaning the entire kitchen. I let the counter creep take over far too much recently and it was long overdue for a good cleaning. I even wiped down all the appliances and cleaned the Keurig! I pretty much feel like a rockstar and the sad thing is I think most people are actually really good about keeping up with most of this stuff on a regular basis. For me, it's blog worthy when it actually gets accomplished.

What's on your to-do list or what have you been avoiding? Next up for me is applying another coat of touch up paint to the stairs that Miles recently installed, cleaning my bathroom, get a long run in, and download and organize pictures. I probably will spare you another blog about such boring accomplishments.

................................................................................................

7 comments:

  1. Ohmygosh this sounds like the busiest day ever. This is seriously more than I accomplish in a month. Good job motivating! As lazy as I am, it does feel good to get stuff accomplished. And then feel good about myself as I return to my snacks on the couch! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get it mama!! I have a get off yo ass list. The bane of my existence. It has sort receipts, vacuum front stairs, wipe out cupboards, and upload pictures among other things. And that's just what's ON the list. Thank goodness I finally sorted and took in the recycling or I'd be kicked off the compound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, we're supposed to clean the keurig?! Shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If most people are that productive on a normal day then I am not like most people! You are amazing!!! And, I am reading blogs while the kids are napping instead of, you know, doing something on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go you! Aren't days like that so satisfying? I'm extra impressed with cleaning the Keurig. Wow. I didn't even know that was something you had to do.

    My list right now includes sending birthday cards for August birthdays (better late than never?), cleaning out the freezer, and getting back on track with marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to come back to ths post, because I put EVERYTHING off. The piling up of papers and clothes is my life.
    But I wanted to touch down and tell you I think you had a bad ass day, and rocked your to do list. And anyone who manages to stay on top of this "petty" household crap, is either single, without children, lying, or amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also had no idea you were supposed to clean a Keurig. Had the same reaction as Amelia. Hah.

    Just reading this. I'm obviously behind on all my life basically. Though I did clean some serious bathrooms last week and trying to get my crap together. This is totally irrelevant to you at this point because it's nearly a month from your post and your bathrooms are dirty again. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete