August 29, 2012

Like a Boss

Miles took command of a company yesterday. (Which for anyone not familiar with the Army, that basically means he is in charge of about 120 Soldiers and it's something good (and necessary) to do in order to progress in your career.)

The good news - well aside from the fact that Company Command was the one job that Miles knew he wanted to do at some point in the Army, is that there is no deployment to Afghanistan on the horizon. He may go elsewhere, but it's still up in the air and I'm really liking the fact that my husband has been HOME for over a year now.

The bad news - it's super busy. Like, literally today he came home (at 6:30) for dinner and had to go back at 9pm for simulator training and won't get home until 1am or so. But such is life and we were expecting this, and at the end of the day I go back to being reminded of how awesome it is that he is even home (most of the time) and not in harms way. So lots to be grateful for (just please remind me of this when I start complaining again).

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the ceremony. Before you make fun of his silly hat - he has to gets to wear a stetson because he is in a Cavalry unit (although he is in command of an Infanty company) . . . translation - the Army really digs on heritage and Ft. Hood is all about the cavalry (there is even still a horse cavalry detachment here).  But no, this does not mean that he got assigned a horse to go along with the new job - although that would have been pretty sweet.

Miles' dad flew in from WI for the ceremony.

Taking the guidon. 

Passing the guidon to his new First Sergeant. Who happens to be a short Hispanic guy. How apropos egh?

Officially in charge

Miles and his buddies Kyle and Greg (who are going to teach History at West Point in a couple years!)

Very proud of this guy. I like him better without the silly hat.

It was kind of nice that he took command yesterday. August 28th just seems to be a good day. It's an especially good baby day. Yesterday my friend Heidi welcomed baby Annabelle, a girl I recently met here in Texas had a little boy, and it was my favorite little red head's first birthday! Happy birthday to all these sweet babies. 
................................................................................................

7 comments:

  1. Congrats to Miles! What a happy day!

    Can I just say, I LOVE your dress. It is adorable and looks so comfortable. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to being home, and our of harms way! My step mother's son was at risk of being deployed for many years, and recently received a shift that ensured him to stay on American soil for his next stretch (not too sure what happened exactly! I'm not good with army speak) and she was jumping for joy, literally.

    I can imagine your relief. Very happy with this news - and hats off to Miles (yes, lol, pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh he got it already! Awesome, go Miles! Love your dress, too, hot mama ;) Good luck with those 2am nights/mornings...but isn't it nice to know that you at least get to sleep in the same bed almost every night?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very exciting!! You look beautiful and Miles looks very dapper in the cowboy hat ;) does he get to wear spurs, too?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say something about the new hat but then as I read I realized you were already planning for the comments to come! Perhaps I will just believe he was wearing a tan beret underneath that big ole' hat! Happy your change of scenery and family are well!

    Kim Tennill

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are so adorable I can hardly handle it. Congrats to Miles.

    ReplyDelete