1. Be a more interactive and educational mom. Finn is learning so much, so fast. He picked up at least three new words while we were in Europe - it's insane how much he's developing and it's so amazing to see. I want to be better about providing him with stimulating and fun activities and just enjoying being a part of his development. There's only a billion ideas on Pinterest, I just need to get with it and start doing more of them.
2. Less time on phone and Facebook. My desire to quit Facebook altogether could be saved for an entirely separate blog post, but 90% of the time - it's so, so stupid. Because 90% of the things people say/share are so, so stupid. Also, I read this article and had very similar feelings. I will elaborate more on that later I think, but I don't think this will be a hard resolution for me. I do need to do a better job of putting my phone down more often though - or at least checking it less. It will probably help me accomplish resolution #1 a little better too, I'm sure.
3. Be more financially and environmentally frugal. My transition to cloth diapering definitely will help achieve this (in both regards), but I'm certainly looking for way to continue to save money (and the planet). A few weeks ago Miles installed a dual flush on our toilet and then I noticed them everywhere in Europe. Get on board America! I also need to be a little better about cost comparing things - especially groceries and common purchases, using coupons, and gasp! cutting back on my Target trips. 2013 will be our first full year on one income - considering the state our nation is in as a whole, I think we all could be a little more responsible with our
4. Eat healthy. In general I think we do a good job being selective with the quality of food we buy. We only buy grass-fed beef, organic eggs, all that jazz, but I need to cut back on the sugar (my teeth would agree) and I'd also like for us to cut back on our red meat intake. So any vegetarians out there want to share some good recipes for macho meat eating men? (ahem - Brooke, Brandy cough cough). Also, I'm very particular in what Finn eats and ensure it's healthy and well balanced. I need to do a better job of holding myself to the same standards I set for my child. (Thanks for that tip Brandy.) Oh and water - I need to be better about drinking more water. I was so good about it during my pregnancies and when nursing, yet lately it's like I will totally forget and then have to force myself to chug a glass because I can't just consistently drink water throughout the day.
5. Read more. I accomplished my goal last year of reading one book a month which is still pretty pitiful, so I'm going to up that to a whopping 15 this year. Any good recommendations? I'd like to start out the new year with something happy/uplifting. Doesn't matter if it's fiction or non - just something that I'd want to recommend to someone else after finishing.
So there you have it. I certainly have a longer list of other little things I hope to accomplish or work on in the new year, but those are there biggies.
On an unrelated, but equally important note, our Roscoe dog turned five years old yesterday! We upgraded him to a memory foam bed (which now has a cover that may or may not have his name embroidered on it). Happy Birthday to our favorite pup!
Here's hoping 2013 is a happy one.